Family Assistance Guidelines
Our Mission: Supporting families whose children suffer from life-threatening illnesses, diseases and disorders, by providing financial, emotional and resource support to their desperate situation.
Our Purpose: While we cannot cure a child, we can help the families endure, and soften their heartbreaking journey; thereby bringing relief, hope and a sense of normalcy in the home environment.
How We Can Help
If your child has been diagnosed with a life-threatening illness, your whole world has just been turned upside down. Mitchell Thorp Foundation can help guide you through the maze of paperwork, provide an emotional foundation, advocated on your behalf, and give you the tools and encouragement to cope with the extraordinary demands of dealing day-by-day with your child's and your family's needs.
Are You Eligible?
Each family's needs are individually assessed by MTF Board of Directors. Assistance is available to those families who have a child that meets the following qualifications.
- Under the age of 21 who has been diagnosed with a life-threatening illness, disease or disorders.
- United States citizen or lawful, permanent resident of the United States. A copy of the child's birth certificate or 1-151 form (green card) may be required by Mitchell Thorp Foundation at the time of application.
- Lives in: Southern California Area
MTF Support Services
- Provide supportive counseling and advice as the family copes with their child's illness.
- Maintain close contact with each family by telephone and through visits to the home and hospital.
- Advocate for families in their dealings with hospitals bills if needed.
- Provide referrals for professional counseling and other support services.
- All funds are distributed to vendors (i.e. hospitals, doctors, medical equipment etc.) not directly to families.
Applying for Assistance
- Families who demonstrate financial need may be eligible for financial assistance from Mitchell Thorp Foundation.
- Requests for financial assistance are considered on a case by case basis, taking into account each family's individual circumstances. The family must demonstrate that its financial need is caused by the impact of the child's illness.
- If financial assistance is requested, the parents must complete an application and submit verification of income, copy of previous year tax returns and expenses.
How Does the Approval Process Work?
The MTF Board of Directors reviews all applications monthly. We will notify the applicant upon physician and case managers' verification. A home visit is scheduled to meet the family and child. When all requirements are made MTF can begin with assistance.
Download: MTF Family Assistance Application (PDF)
Download: MTF Public Relations Release Form (PDF)